Friday, May 11, 2018

Longing for His Appearing



Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the LORD, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 timothy 4:7-8)

I only need to be apart from my wife for a short time before I begin missing her.  If it’s an extended absence, like during a work trip, my missing turns to longing.

We long for what we love most.

Which brings me to my next point.  How come I don’t long for Jesus’ appearing more often?

And, if I don’t long for Jesus’ appearing, is a crown of righteousness still in store for me?

The above verse really makes us take a hard look at where our desires lie.  As I mentioned earlier, we long for what we love most.

If you find yourself being out of God’s presence for long periods of time without missing Him, pray this prayer from A. W. Tozer with me…

 “O God, I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this.” 

No comments: