Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Who Rules the Roost?


“No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave...”

I Corinthians 9:27a







Paul knew that his body needed to be brought under subjection to his spirit and to the Spirit of God.

Too often, in our own lives, we might rewrite the verse above to read this way:

No, I beat my spirit and make it my slave.

In our weakness we turn Paul’s instruction on its’ head.

We give priority and preeminence to our bodies at the expense of our spirits.

This, when done, magnifies the physical over the spiritual in our lives.

Then we question why we do not hear more clearly or more frequently from the Spirit of God.

We have chosen the body over the spirit time after time and grown accustomed to satisfying its’ demands.

We quickly know how to satiate the cravings of the flesh but are at a loss to the things of God because our hearing has become dull.   

Learn, as Paul did, to daily bring your body into submission to the spirit.

As you do you will recognize an increased sensitivity to the Spirit of God.


No comments: