Monday, December 2, 2013

No Escape Clauses

“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
Hebrews 10:24-25
 
As I write this blog it is Sunday evening.
This morning I was visiting a church family I have grown to know and love.
During our time of worship it was made so real to me that even though I wasn’t at my ‘home’ church I was still with family!
Go anywhere on this globe where they love Jesus and you are ‘home’ among God’s people.
They may not speak a language you understand.
Their culture and traditions may not be familiar.
But if they love the Lord, you are with family.
I’ve heard the refrain – you probably have too – “I love God, it’s the church I can’t stand.”
On one level I understand what they are saying.
Sometimes we can be downright mean to one another.
Of course we cannot excuse that behavior but it’s also not a reason to absence ourselves from fellowship.
I just don’t see an ‘out’ allowed by God when we discover others aren’t perfect
(Or when they discover that we aren’t either).
We always look for escape clauses.
It’s true that friction creates heat.
But friction can also be used to smooth rough edges.
If friction between you and another brother or sister only makes you a little ‘hot under the collar’ you have missed the opportunity to grow through those God has brought you into relationship with.
Sure, Sister Sandpaper and her husband Brother Bullhead might be difficult to deal with.
But it is precisely those difficult people that God may use to polish you!
A diamond is only created when pressure is applied.
Don’t forsake that work…

No comments: