Thursday, November 21, 2013

What Are You Thinking About?

“Christian brothers, keep your minds thinking about whatever is true, whatever is respected, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever can be loved, and whatever is well thought of. If there is anything good and worth giving thanks for, think about these things.”
Philippians 4:8 (NLV)
 
 
Most everyone who regularly reads this blog is likely familiar
with the biblical principal of sowing and reaping.
One problem we have though is the scope of the application.
We often limit it to the very narrow area of our finances.
But it applies equally well to many, many areas of our lives.
That includes our thought life.
You’ve probably heard the expression – “Garbage in, garbage out”.
This is actually an adaptation of the principle of sowing and reaping.
I simply cannot fill my thought life with garbage and expect that out will pop quality sound thoughts.
My thoughts are like seeds and those seeds reproduce after their own kind.
If I spent hours on end in front of my computer surfing to inappropriate websites how do you suppose that would help me with the goal of building a sound mind?
Of course it would not.
Garbage in, garbage out.
Expressed another way- I would be reaping what I sowed.
If, instead, I followed the advice of scripture and took every though captive in obedience to Christ – now that is cultivating a mind fixed on the things of God – a sound mind.  
So the next time you are struggling in this area – ask yourself a simple question.
What am I sustaining my thought life with?
 

No comments: