Friday, October 14, 2011

The Jesus Diet

“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.”
John 4:34


What sustains you?
Whoa! Don’t answer too fast.
Think before you speak and be honest with yourself.
Don’t ‘spiritualize’ the answer if it isn’t true.

Jesus said, in the verse above, that His food was to do the will of the Father and to finish His work.
I know we probably all think we know what food is but how about an actual definition? Food is: “any substance taken into or assimilated by a plant or animal to keep it alive and enable it to grow.”
Let’s paraphrase John 4:34 this way: Jesus said: “What I take in and gives me life, causing me to grow, is simply to do the will of the Father and to finish His work.” I think it is fair to say that what sustained Jesus was to do the will of the Father.
So, back to my original question – What sustains you?
How many answered honestly that it was to do the will of God your Father?
Jesus was answering honestly when he made that statement – He was not ‘spiritualizing’ His answer to sound like something He was not. It was true of Him.
What does that mean?
It means you and I have a ways to go and a ways to grow!
Job said in chapter 23 and verse 12: “I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.”
Job and Jesus were sustained by God’s word.
How about you?

No comments: