Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Can I Copy Jesus?

“Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”
John 14:12

Yesterday we talked about the need to be original and not a copy of anyone.
Of course you may be thinking when it
comes to Jesus surely it is o.k. to copy Him, right?
Let me give you a definitive answer - Maybe!
It depends on what you are copying and why.
Certainly we need the gifts and fruit in our lives and to the extent that Jesus exemplified the gifts and fruit of the Holy Spirit we should be imitators of Him. We should not confuse the character (which we should emulate) with the methods. Some people may be tempted to copy a method of Jesus when God never spoke to them concerning a specific action. Let me give you an example. If I am introduced to a blind man should I presume that if I spit in his eyes God will heal his blindness? After all that was a method Jesus used. True enough. But bear in mind that Jesus did not spit in the eyes of every blind man he healed. Remember, Jesus only did what He saw the Father doing. Our creator is far too big to be reduced to a single recipe or formula. How many of you have ever gone fishing in an effort to satisfy your tax bill? If God were to specifically direct you in that fashion I would be the first to encourage you to go for it, but let’s not think that God will always use the same methods to meet my or your needs.
How about copying this aspect of Jesus’ ministry - tomorrow morning get up really early and spend a few hours in prayer to build your relationship with the Father and develop those spiritual ears that recognize His voice.God has not called you to die on the cross for the sins of the world. For that He gave His one and only son. But you can (and should) copy that example of sacrificial obedience by daily taking up your cross, denying yourself, and following Him!

No comments: