Monday, October 10, 2011

Hide and Seek

“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”
Psalm 119:11

Let’s play a game of hide and seek.
What’s that you say: “Isn’t that too juvenile an endeavor for a blog that is meant to encourage and strengthen you in your walk with God?”
Well, no worry – this is a different kind of hide and seek activity.
What you do is hide the Word of God in your heart and draw from those same scriptures at those moments when you need the strength of His word to keep you from sin.

Hide: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Philippians 4:4
Seek: When you are tempted to whine – Rejoice!

Hide: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6
Seek: When you are tempted to worry – pray instead!

Hide: “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
Seek: When tempted to find man-made solutions in meeting the needs of a ministry He has called you to – trust Him to meet every need.

A couple of thoughts:

Did you notice that we never left the 4th Chapter of Philippians, but just in that chapter alone we were able to find three passages to hide in our heart and to seek in those moments of great need?

Scripture will bear witness with scripture – that means I can verify the Word of God and the truth of that Word with other portions of the Word of God. When I hide His word in my heart, I can seek the answers I need from more than just one passage. Go ahead and give it a try. Move out of the 4th Chapter of Philippians and find other scriptures that teach me to rejoice and not whine, to pray and not worry and to trust His provision over my own methods and plans.
But don’t stop there…

No comments: