Friday, May 19, 2017

I want to be a Mary!


Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

 She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations. (Luke 10:39-40)

Sometimes I feel like the bug named Harry in the movie “A Bugs Life.”  If you’re not familiar with the movie, Harry is the bug that gets zapped because he’s so smitten by the beautiful blue light, he can’t resist flying into it.  He’s easily distracted.

I also can be easily distracted by the many things going on around me.  For example, when I sit down to pray or study God’s word, my thoughts often go something like this…. “I really need to clean the gutters…I wonder what’s in the fridge for lunch…I need to organize the garage….”

And many times, if I’m not focused enough, those thoughts will win out and I’ll get up from sitting at Jesus’ feet and walk towards the blue light, only to get zapped by the challenges of life because I didn’t invest the necessary time in allowing God to mold and shape my heart.

Mary was a great example of someone who recognized the importance of positioning herself at the feet of Jesus and not letting distractions pull her away.  What was her secret?  I believe, in part, it was because she recognized the unique opportunity in front of her.  Emmanuel, “God with us,” was in her home and she wasn’t going to let that opportunity slip by.

We have an even greater opportunity than Mary.  Jesus has taken up residence in our heart.  Our spirit lives in union with His.  What a tragedy to let that opportunity slip by because we allow the temporal things of this world to consume our attention.

Our time on earth is short and God has a specific plan and purpose for our lives, but we can’t be effective out in the world, without continually retreating to the feet of Jesus to be taught, transformed, and equipped.

I don’t know about you, but I want to be a Mary!


No comments: