Monday, January 7, 2013

The Submission Test


“Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you
as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be
 a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.
Hebrews 13:17Cross references:

 
Let’s continue our look this week at some of the tests we will face as followers of Christ.
The word submission actually carries with it the clues to its definition.
Webster’s defines submission as: the act of submitting, yielding or surrendering.
But whenever I look at the word ‘submission’ I always see two words:
sub’ which means under or beneath and, of course the word mission.
So when I look at the word I see my responsibility in submitting as coming under another person’s mission.
In Western cultures in particular, we really struggle with that concept.
We want to be fiercely independent and not have to answer to anyone.
But, as you know, the Kingdom of God is not a democracy.
“Wait just a minute!” you say – “I thought God had a plan and purpose for my life?”
He does – but those plans and purposes will never unfold void of submission but rather as an integral part of it.
The man who says he answers to no one but God usually is headed for a cliff.
It is, in part, through the process of submitting to authorities on earth that we learn to submit to our heavenly Father.
Don’t fall victim to the lie that we are subject to no one.
As I submit my will and come under the authorities God has brought into my life for my growth in Him, I am given authority in His Kingdom.  
Don’t expect to walk in authority in the Kingdom of God if you refuse to submit to those God has placed in authority over you.
Don’t look at it just as:
Another day – another test;
but rather – another test so another opportunity to grow in the things of God!
He’s preparing you for great things.
 


 

No comments: