Monday, January 21, 2013

God is God and I am Not

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God:
that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”
 I John 5:14
 
 Last week we hit hard the importance of the vital relationship we are to maintain with the Lord.  
When we “…remain in Him…” we have confidence that when we pray; God listens.
Why is that important?
For many reasons but let’s look at just a couple.
First, if we are confident that God hears us, it reinforces in us our position in Christ.
As branches we are to be abiding in the vine.
Our mind, our thoughts need to be on things above and not on things on the earth.
That means my perspective in prayer changes.
I begin to ask according to the will of God and
for the purposes of God to be fulfilled in the earth.
Jesus spoke it this way:
“…thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven…”
Secondly, when I know God listens to me as I pray; it helps to remove from me some of the self-imposed wrong thinking that I have to know when and how God will answer.
I am commanded to pray.
How and when God answers is His role and not mine.
For example, I don’t/can’t heal anyone.
I can pray according to the will of God for someone’s healing but needn’t fret or worry how or when God will do it.
Some may consider that a cop-out but the truth is it is just understanding that
God is God and I am not.
No amount of prayer will change that!

No comments: