Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Disciples “Elimination” Diet!

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
John 15:5
 
What would happen in your life if you eliminated things that:
Won’t make me like Christ?
Won’t matter in eternity?
Won’t bring God glory?
If you did those three things, what would your life really look like?
If you said – “It would be a pretty empty life” – then you know what that means!
But it also means that there is very little in you that is drawing others to Christ either.
I did not set out to write today’s blog about how to show others the Christ in you but it should be apparent that when we are more Christ like in our walk – He becomes more evident to those around us.
When the choices I make are so radically different from other people’s choices because my measure is to only do those things that make a difference for eternity; I will be ‘peculiar’. That is just what I am called to be: peculiar, called, set-apart, unique, radical for Christ.
Sometimes, you may even find ‘religious’ people labeling you that way.
Religious people both inside the church and out.  
So don’t run from those measures – run to them!
It doesn’t make me more like Christ? – Jettison it!
It makes little difference in eternity? – Stop wasting your time with it!
It brings God glory? – Embrace it!
If my goal as a ‘branch’ is to remain in the ‘vine’ then I must choose to do those things that keep me drawing my strength, my nourishment and my identity from the vine.
To review and to help you remember let’s consider it the “Disciples Elimination Diet”:
Eliminate what
Won’t make me like Christ
Won’t matter in eternity
Won’t bring God glory!

No comments: