Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Second Chances

6 Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’
   8 “‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”
Luke 13:6-9

I have three hydrangea plants in my front yard that we had transplanted from another family members home. We planted them around a light post in our front yard. The first year it grew wonderfully with lush green leaves but no blossoms all season long. The next year was a repeat of the first. While we still had no blossoms on it we left it alone. This year our plant is full of beautiful pink blossoms. We are enjoying them so much now that we planted a variety called ‘Endless Summer’ in another spot in our yard. 

I am grateful for second chances, maybe in part, because I am so often in need of them. Our hydrangea plant was actually given a second and a third chance. Some may read the text above and find it harsh in light of the vineyard owners command but I find mercy and a second chance in the words of the vineyard caretaker. One was prepared to be done with it because it bore no fruit. Certainly not an unfair judgment on the owners’ part. He had a fig tree and expected to find figs on it. But as a person so often in need of second chances I am so grateful for the caretakers’ response. Give me more time and let me dig around it and fertilize it.

You’ll forgive me if my ignorance shows since I am not a farmer but through patient work by the caretaker the fig tree got another chance. Are you working with someone who you would reasonably expect to have produced the fruit of the Spirit in their life only to be frustrated by the lack of fruit? Will you lovingly spend a little more time with them, dig around the ‘roots’ and fertilize – bringing to the soil of their heart the needed nutrients to allow healthy growth? I am enjoying my hydrangeas this year and the only thing that changed was taking the time to prune back the plants. It was a relatively small investment made to reap wonderful benefits.

We aren’t told the final results in our parable from today but the point was made. Fruit was expected and every effort would be given to see that fruit was produced. But perhaps by taking a different perspective on it we see the marvelous mercy and generous grace offered by the caretaker of our souls in giving a second chance. Take time to thank God and acknowledge the second chances you have received.    

No comments: