Friday, April 7, 2017

Heaven is not for me


Today’s blog, contributed by David Trotta, contains what you might call a ‘scarey truth’. It is truth that asks a question that, if answered honestly, would frighten most of us. Please take the time to consider what Dave challenges each of us with today...



Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. (Psalm 73:25)

In his book Crazy Love, Francis Chan quoted John Piper who asked this question - “If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied with heaven, if Christ was not there?”

That question has echoed in my heart since I read it a number of years ago.  The Lord uses it to continually challenge where the affections of my heart lie.

You see, if I was totally honest, most times the answer to the above question would be “yes.” I could be satisfied with heaven if Jesus wasn’t there and that scares the heck out of me.  Because no matter how I try to spin it, my answer reveals the fact that I love many other things more than I love Him.

What about you?  How would you truthfully answer that question?

May our love for Jesus become our only passion in life.  May the thought of being apart from Him for any length of time bring a sense of sadness to our hearts.  It’s time we forsake the love of so many other worthless things and focus all that energy on loving and pursuing God.

May we get to the place where even if heaven contained all the pleasures of this world, but was absent of Jesus, our response would be “heaven is not for me.”

No comments: