Friday, July 7, 2017

The Sound of Your Voice




Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

And the LORD came and stood, calling as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant hears.” (1 Samuel 3:10)

My 2 year old granddaughter is at that stage where she loves to talk.  She can’t get enough of her new found ability to exercise her voice.  She will talk non-stop without taking a breath and I just love to listen to her.

God also loves to talk.  He has been talking since the creation of the world when He spoke all things into existence.  I have discovered in my personal life that when I sit for any period of time, God will always speak to my heart.  The problem is the “me sitting” part.

I carve out time for a lot of other things in my life, many of them of little valuable, but I struggle to sit and listen to the God of the universe who is the source of all wisdom and knowledge and loves to share what He knows.

I need to fall in love with His voice until it becomes something I cherish and look forward to more than anything else.

Will you join me in cultivating an ear that continually listens for God’s always speaking voice?

In his book The Pursuit of God, AW Tozer prayed this way – “Lord, teach me to listen.  The times are noisy and my ears are weary with the thousand raucous sounds which continuously assault them.  Give me the spirit of the boy Samuel when he said to Thee, “Speak, for Thy servant heareth.”  Let me hear Thee speaking in my heart.  Let me get used to the sound of Thy voice, that its tones may be familiar when the sounds of earth die away and the only sound will be the music of Thy speaking voice.”

As for my granddaughter, I pray that she will grow up loving to hear God’s voice as much as I love hearing hers.

No comments: