Friday, April 27, 2018

Yours for the Day




Today’s post is contributed by David Trotta:

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” (Isaiah 6:8)

When my wife becomes overwhelmed with planning for an upcoming event, like hosting a large gathering of family over the holidays, I will often clear my schedule for one day leading up to the event and then I tell her “Hun, I’m yours for the entire day.  What would you have me do?  Use me!”

  My day will then consist of running errands to pick up last minute items for her.  You might also find me in the kitchen peeling onions and potatoes or frosting cookies.  I might even do some vacuuming around the house.  Whatever she needs, I will do.

I like to believe those days are very helpful to her.  At the end of the day, I feel like I’ve blessed her and helped relieve some of the pressure off her big shoulders.

After thinking about one of those days recently, I thought about how blessed God would be if I laid down my to-do list one day, cleared my schedule, and said “Lord, I’m yours all day today.  What would you have me do?”

Then, I would quiet my soul and listen for His still small voice.  Maybe He would lead me to just sit at His feet and worship Him to rejuvenate my weary heart.  Maybe He would direct me to my neighbor’s house to bless them with some chores that needed finishing.

  Or maybe He would have me visit a hospital waiting room to see if there was someone I could pray with.  Maybe He would lead me to take out a friend for coffee who is struggling and needs some words of encouragement or just a sympathetic ear.

The opportunities are endless in God’s world.

Unlike my wife, the Lord doesn’t need our help, but He does choose to partner with us to accomplish His will on the earth.  He wants to touch many lives.  All He needs is a heart willing to say “I’m yours.”

I’m excited about the opportunity to pick such a day in the near future.  I hope it becomes a regular practice in my life.

What about you?

No comments: