Friday, July 18, 2014

No Strings Attached


The Lord recently challenged me to keep my eyes on Him and not His blessings, regardless of the situation.  I don’t know about you, but I can sometimes get caught up in loving the blessings God provides, instead of loving Him just because of who He is.

For example, would we still love Him and remain steadfast in our pursuit of Him if He withheld His blessings from us or allowed us to go through a difficult time?  Before you answer too quickly, let’s measure our response against a well known saint who went through hardships that you and I have difficulty even imagining.

Enter Job of the Old Testament.  He had seven sons and three daughters and was an extremely wealthy man.  Within moments, he lost everything.  His children were killed and all his wealth was either destroyed or stolen.  Listen to what Job said after learning of the tragedies…

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” (Job 1:20-21)

And then listen to what he said later on in the book of Job after being stricken with a horrific physical affliction….

“Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him.” (Job 13:15)

As of late, I have been deeply challenged by Job’s ability to make these declarations in the midst of incredible emotional and physical hardship.  Regardless of the hardships Job was experiencing, he was committed to worshipping and trusting the Lord, even if the Lord took his very life!  He wouldn’t let anything diminish his love for God.

Can you and I do the same?  Or, is our affection for God contingent on His blessings and provision continuing to flow?

Job had come to a place that allowed him to put God’s blessings and provision in their proper perspective. He had apprehended an incredible truth….that regardless of his situation, either in lack or plenty, God was worthy to be praised and trusted.

Is God firmly seated on the throne of your heart where it is far too easy for “things” to become the objects of our desire?  Even though we will never go through what Job went though, let’s make sure that when it comes to loving God, there are no strings attached.

No comments: